- illegal il‧le‧gal [ɪˈliːgl] adjective1. LAW not allowed by the law:illegal it is illegal to do something
• It's illegal to copy copyrighted movie cassettes.
• Despite knowing about the illegal activity, the executives failed to tell the government for months.
• He made illegal payments in connection with contracts awarded to his company.— illegally adverb :
• An investigation is being conducted to see if anyone illegally profited from the takeover.2. COMPUTING involving an instruction, character etc that is not allowed in a particular computer program
* * *illegal UK US /ɪˈliːgəl/ adjective► LAW not allowed by law: »
According to state law, smoking is illegal in all public buildings.illegal (for sb) to do sth »
It is illegal for a company to force an employee into early retirement.make sth illegal »
The new law will make it illegal to record phone conversations without consent.»
illegal sales/profits/trades► IT used to describe a character (= letter, number, or symbol) that you cannot use in a particular place on a computer, because it may create problems: »
The colon is the only illegal character for file and folder names.illegally adverb► »
Approximately 500,000 workers enter the country illegally each year.
Financial and business terms. 2012.